The death of Queen Elizabeth II will be particularly difficult for her grandson, Prince Harry, whose relationship with the royal family had been strained in recent years, Karl Stefanovic has said.
A somber Stefanovic made the observation on the Today show around 5.30am as news of the Queen’s death broke in Australia early Friday morning.
As the show aired photos of the Queen and Prince William’s four children heading to Balmoral to say goodbye, co-host Allison Langdon said Harry “wasn’t here for the passing of his grand-grandmother. beloved mother”.
The death of Queen Elizabeth II will be particularly difficult for her grandson, Prince Harry, whose relationship with the royal family had been strained in recent years, Karl Stefanovic has said. (Photo: Stefanovic and Allison Langdon on the Today show Friday morning)
Stefanovic, who was looking at a picture of Harry alone in a car, said: ‘[It] it looks like he’s alone there too, heading to Balmoral,’ noting his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex is missing.
He continued: “It is a difficult day when a member of your family dies. For [Harry]doubly difficult, I would have thought.
Stefanovic did not develop this thought, probably out of respect for His Majesty’s memory.
Stefanovic made the observation on the Today show. His remark about the loss being “doubly difficult” possibly referred to the fact that Harry was not with the Queen when she died. (Pictured: Harry walks to Balmoral after the Queen’s death was announced to the nation)
But he may be referring to the strained relationship between the Queen and the Sussexes, who stepped down as frontline royals in 2020 and now live in America.
He may also have simply been referring to the fact that Harry hadn’t seen his grandmother as much as he would have liked in recent years due to her moving abroad.
On the other hand, Stefanovic’s remark that the loss was ‘doubly difficult’ could have simply referred to the fact that he was not with the Queen when she died.
Prince William drove Prince Andrew, Sophie, the Countess of Wessex and Prince Edward to Balmoral to say their final goodbyes (pictured) Harry did not arrive until almost an hour and a half after news of the death of his grandmother, the Queen
Harry arrived at Balmoral almost an hour and a half after news of his grandmother the Queen’s death was announced.
Buckingham Palace declared Britain’s longest-serving monarch, 96, dead at 6.30pm on Thursday evening.
But flight data shows the Duke of Sussex’s plane was still in the air at the time, not touching the airport until nearly 15 minutes later. He was later seen in the back of a car leaving the site just after 7 p.m.
He finally arrived at the Scottish estate at 7:52 p.m., where he joined other members of the Royal family mourning the death of the queen.
Harry traveled to Balmoral alone, without his wife Meghan, who was previously due to attend the WellChild Awards in London tonight.
He was due to deliver a speech at tonight’s awards show, which honors the brave actions of seriously ill children, before canceling the appearance.
It is understood Meghan has remained in London, but will not attend the WellChild Awards. The Duchess could potentially join Harry in Scotland at a later date, a source has said.
Queen Elizabeth’s death: A timeline of how today’s sad news was announced
12:35 p.m.: A statement is released by Buckingham Palace, announcing the Queen is under medical supervision at Balmoral after doctors were “concerned for her health”. A Palace spokesman said: “Following a further assessment this morning, the Queen’s doctors are concerned for Her Majesty’s health and have recommended that she remains under medical supervision.” The Queen remains comfortable and at Balmoral.
12:47 p.m.: A statement is released by Clarence House confirming that Prince Charles and his wife Camilla will be visiting Balmoral. It read: ‘The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have visited Balmoral’.
12:48 p.m.: A minute later, Kensington Palace announces that Price William will travel to Balmoral. The statement read: “The Duke of Cambridge is also visiting Balmoral.”
1:37 p.m.: It is reported that Prince Andrew visited Balmoral Castle in Scotland after learning that doctors were concerned for the Queen’s health.
1:38 p.m.: Sources confirm to the Press Association (PA) that the Princess Royal is at Balmoral, and that the Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex are en route to the Queen’s Scottish household.
1:55 p.m.: A spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirms the couple will “be visiting Scotland”. While the initial statement mentioned “Scotland”, it did not directly mention Balmoral. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were due to attend the WellChild Awards ceremony in London on Thursday evening, but have changed their travel plans to see the Queen.
4:14 p.m.: A press alert from the Press Association (PA) said the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would travel to Balmoral ‘separately’ from other members of the Royal Family.
4:39 p.m.: Less than 30 minutes later, the Palestinian Authority issued another alert, citing an unnamed source, saying the Duchess of Sussex would not be traveling to Balmoral with the Duke of Sussex. The source said Prince Harry would be making the trip alone. A source said the Duchess could potentially join Harry in Scotland at a later date, following what PA described as a ‘change of plans’.
4:44 p.m.: A few minutes later, Omid Scobie, a journalist considered “friendly” towards the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and who often quotes anonymous sources close to the couple, wrote an article on the social network Twitter about the situation. He writes: A source shared an update saying only Prince Harry made the trip to Balmoral. Like the Duchess of Cambridge (who is in Windsor with their three children), the Duchess of Sussex is staying in England (but still not attending tonight’s WellChild Awards). The post mentions Kate, who earlier today it was revealed she won’t be going to Balmoral.
6:30 p.m.: The Royal Family announces via social media site Twitter that Queen has died “peacefully” at Balmoral at the age of 96.
After 6:30 p.m.: Prince Harry is thought to have arrived at Balmoral after the public announcement
Australia has joined much of the world in mourning Queen Elizabeth II as her death prompts the first change of head of state in more than seven decades.
A statement from Buckingham Palace on Friday morning (AEST) confirmed the death of the 96-year-old.
“The Queen passed away peacefully at Balmoral this afternoon,” Buckingham Palace said.
“The King and Queen Consort will stay at Balmoral tonight and return to London tomorrow.”
Flags will fly at half mast across Australia on Friday as the nation waits to hear how the official mourning process will unfold.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has paid tribute to the Queen, who is succeeded by her son King Charles III in a move that should revive the Republican debate in Australia.
“A historic reign and a long life of duty, family, faith and service have come to an end,” Mr. Albanese said in a statement.
“The Government and people of Australia send their deepest condolences to the Royal Family, who mourn a beloved mother, grandmother and great-grandmother – the person who for so long was their greatest inner strength. .”
Mr Albanese said that ‘from his famous maiden voyage to Australia, the only reigning sovereign to ever visit, it was clear that Her Majesty held a special place in her heart for Australia’.
“Fifteen more tours before cheering crowds in every part of our country confirmed the special place she held in ours.”
He praised the Queen’s relationship with Australia and the rest of the world.
“As monarch for more than half the life of our Federation, the relationship between Australia and Britain has matured and evolved throughout Her Majesty’s reign,” he said.
“The Queen has greeted each change with understanding, good grace and an unwavering faith in the good judgment of the Australian people.
“It was the skillful and diplomatic way in which she linked the diversity of the modern Commonwealth, nations around the world who will mourn her passing.
“This period of mourning will pass, but the deep respect and warm consideration in which Australians have always held Her Majesty will never fade.”
Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor was Queen of the United Kingdom and 14 Commonwealth realms, including Australia, since her reign began in February 1952.
Governor General David Hurley said Australians should take inspiration from the Queen’s contribution.
“He was a truly remarkable person,” he said in a statement.
“When I reflect on my own memories – she has been my queen all my life – I think of Her Majesty’s dignity and compassion. His dedication and tireless work ethic. And her selflessness and unwavering commitment to the people she served. Ours.’
Federal Opposition Leader Peter Dutton was grateful for the Queen’s dedicated service.
‘Today a comforting warmth left the world. One of humanity’s brightest lights has gone out,” he said.